2002 Mustang Gt V8 $.6 L - Mustang Boards


General Tech Forum Use this form for tech related topics that relate to all/most Mustang platforms
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default 2002 Mustang Gt V8 $.6 L

I have a 2002 mustang Gt which is pretty much stock. Except for Dual Side exhaust,body kit, and cobra rims. I would like to know about how much horsepower a 2002 mustang gt has stock. And also if there is anything fairly inexpensive to increase the hp.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Your stock GT has 260hp to the crank. There really isn't much that you can do to add horsepower cheaply. Headers cost anywhere from $200-500 then install is a pain, intake is cheap but not much gain. Once you add all the bolt ons, headers, exhaust, midpipe, intake, TB/Plenum, and a tune, you might be around 260rwhp. That is roughly around 305hp to the crank
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

So basically in order to have a dramatic increase in horsepower. I would have to get a nitrious kit or a supercharger? Parts im looking into right now are: BBK Cold air intake, Venom 24lb fuel injectors, GMS Ford 2V coil pack kit, and a BBK 75mm throttle body. So those wont increase the horsepower very much.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Your stock GT has 260hp to the crank. There really isn't much that you can do to add horsepower cheaply. Headers cost anywhere from $200-500 then install is a pain, intake is cheap but not much gain. Once you add all the bolt ons, headers, exhaust, midpipe, intake, TB/Plenum, and a tune, you might be around 260rwhp. That is roughly around 305hp to the crank
Lol i jsut noticed you live in Pleasanton. I live in Livermore.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Cheddarbob's Avatar
Haul ass on regular gas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, CA and Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So basically in order to have a dramatic increase in horsepower. I would have to get a nitrious kit or a supercharger? Parts im looking into right now are: BBK Cold air intake, Venom 24lb fuel injectors, GMS Ford 2V coil pack kit, and a BBK 75mm throttle body. So those wont increase the horsepower very much.
maybe 20hp
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper View Post
4:10s can take 1/2 second off yer 1/4mile.

forget the coil pack and injectors, get 4:10 gearing and a tuner instead. probably wont see any HP increase but the gears will get ya moving quicker.


or save up for supercharger. you can hold close to 400rwhp reliably in the 2v engines.

supercharger is the best way to get there.

lol superchargers are so expensive. Lol by the time i could afford one it would be next june.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
jjtgiants's Avatar
jjtgiants
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dublin, CA
Posts: 4,177
Default

You might already know this, but there is a difference between crank HP and actual hp your car is putting to the wheels....so an engine putting out 260 crank hp is actually putting out around 220-230 rear wheel horsepower.

Adding more HP isn't cheap, but it does all add up...Even if it's only 5-8rwhp per mod. I would suggest getting gears like others have suggested. They won't gain you actual power, but will make a HUGE difference in the car.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

What part of Livermore you in? Post some pics of the car as well. I haven't done gears yet, but it's just cause I've been lazy. Get the gears cause everyone says it's the best seat of the pants feeling. I have most bolt ons and you can definitely feel a difference from stock, but I've spent a good amount of money. Try and piece a supercharger together. As far as the new coil packs and injectors go, you don't need them. Your coil packs are good for well over 100,000 miles and the injectors are good if your adding a power adder.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
jjtgiants's Avatar
jjtgiants
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dublin, CA
Posts: 4,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Lol i jsut noticed you live in Pleasanton. I live in Livermore.
Yes, another Cali Bay Area guy! ha ha ha...We are taking over!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
What part of Livermore you in? Post some pics of the car as well. I haven't done gears yet, but it's just cause I've been lazy. Get the gears cause everyone says it's the best seat of the pants feeling. I have most bolt ons and you can definitely feel a difference from stock, but I've spent a good amount of money. Try and piece a supercharger together. As far as the new coil packs and injectors go, you don't need them. Your coil packs are good for well over 100,000 miles and the injectors are good if your adding a power adder.

I live right next to Robertson Park which is the park that Livermore does the fireworks on 4th of July. I will post some pics of my car later on because i dont have a camera so i have to use my girlfriends. But yeah its a 2002 mustang gt with 54,000 miles on it just bought it last wednesday. I like it a lot but it could use a little exterior,interior, and engine work. My main goal is to get this thing as fast as possible without having to drop like 4 to 6 grand on a supercharger. Also to win my highschools car show next year so yeah. Just keep looking here and ill have some pics up later.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Your stock GT has 260hp to the crank. There really isn't much that you can do to add horsepower cheaply. Headers cost anywhere from $200-500 then install is a pain, intake is cheap but not much gain. Once you add all the bolt ons, headers, exhaust, midpipe, intake, TB/Plenum, and a tune, you might be around 260rwhp. That is roughly around 305hp to the crank
I did 229 RWHP Stock

I did 241 RWHP with a K&N and a 03 Cobra silcencer

I did 264 RWHP with those mods + an o/r X pipe, Magnaflow catback, TB and plenum

I did 278 RWHP with those mods + a predator and a tune

I havent dynoed recently with the bullitt intake but I suspect its mid to high 280's

Suffice to say - your #'s are slightly skewed and rather low.

To the dude who started this topic askin about mods.

Fuel injectors do not GAIN power, they just let you MAKE power - your stock ones are fine until you get a supercharger.

Stay away from the BBK "Cold" air intakes, they are metal. They heat soak and cause detonation. Get a JLT, or Roush, or keep your stocker and put a good filter in it

Coil Packs dont gain power

Gears show less power on the road, but get you moving faster, howver lower your top speed.

Check the power adder section of the forum, tells you how to get a GOOD supercharger for about $1500
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
r3dn3ck's Avatar
Wowbagger hates me too!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Magrathea/California
Posts: 9,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I live right next to Robertson Park which is the park that Livermore does the fireworks on 4th of July. I will post some pics of my car later on because i dont have a camera so i have to use my girlfriends. But yeah its a 2002 mustang gt with 54,000 miles on it just bought it last wednesday. I like it a lot but it could use a little exterior,interior, and engine work. My main goal is to get this thing as fast as possible without having to drop like 4 to 6 grand on a supercharger. Also to win my highschools car show next year so yeah. Just keep looking here and ill have some pics up later.
I'm just down the street from you over by Granada High. My 03 made 232rwhp bone stock. 244 with intake, exhaust and tune. If you want power, get nitrous. At least you can take the bottle out of the car... limit the trouble you can get to.

Put a set of cobra brakes on it, that'll help the looks and safety. Then try a set of sport seats. Again functional, useful and good looking. After that you'll want some sort of CAI cuz the stocker looks like ***. If it's not lowered, pick up a set of used Mach1 or Bullit shocks/struts/springs and a mach1 chin scoop. And all the stuff 00black and jjt told you... do those too.

Now that I've pre-spent all your money, remember


























NO R I C E
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Eighty1 View Post
I did 229 RWHP Stock

I did 241 RWHP with a K&N and a 03 Cobra silcencer

I did 264 RWHP with those mods + an o/r X pipe, Magnaflow catback, TB and plenum

I did 278 RWHP with those mods + a predator and a tune

I havent dynoed recently with the bullitt intake but I suspect its mid to high 280's

Suffice to say - your #'s are slightly skewed and rather low.

To the dude who started this topic askin about mods.

Fuel injectors do not GAIN power, they just let you MAKE power - your stock ones are fine until you get a supercharger.

Stay away from the BBK "Cold" air intakes, they are metal. They heat soak and cause detonation. Get a JLT, or Roush, or keep your stocker and put a good filter in it

Coil Packs dont gain power

Gears show less power on the road, but get you moving faster, howver lower your top speed.

Check the power adder section of the forum, tells you how to get a GOOD supercharger for about $1500
Im not really worried about top speed i just want to be fast of the line. But yeah i saw the topic about peicing super chargers together but that seems like a lot of work and time. And what about a k&n air intake?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dn3ck View Post
I'm just down the street from you over by Granada High. My 03 made 232rwhp bone stock. 244 with intake, exhaust and tune. If you want power, get nitrous. At least you can take the bottle out of the car... limit the trouble you can get to.

Put a set of cobra brakes on it, that'll help the looks and safety. Then try a set of sport seats. Again functional, useful and good looking. After that you'll want some sort of CAI cuz the stocker looks like ***. If it's not lowered, pick up a set of used Mach1 or Bullit shocks/struts/springs and a mach1 chin scoop. And all the stuff 00black and jjt told you... do those too.

Now that I've pre-spent all your money, remember



























NO R I C E

Yeah i go to granada. Im not really for nitrious only because thats like rice roket status. But i guess im jsut going to get some bolt ons. and stuff to make the interior/exterior nicer. For exterior i was looking at black projector headlights and a saleen s281 rear wing. For interior i was looking at new seats, amp and two 10" subwoofers and little things like billet accesories.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Yeah i go to granada. Im not really for nitrious only because thats like rice roket status. But i guess im jsut going to get some bolt ons. and stuff to make the interior/exterior nicer. For exterior i was looking at black projector headlights and a saleen s281 rear wing. For interior i was looking at new seats, amp and two 10" subwoofers and little things like billet accesories.
Hold up bro.

You dont want nitrous because its "rice rocket status" but you watn to get some projector headlights ?

I think your a little backwords.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

http://www.americanmuscle.com/94-04-...rojectors.html


Those are the lights i want. I just dont know if i could afford nitrious especially since its something you have to refill and stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
http://www.americanmuscle.com/94-04-...rojectors.html


Those are the lights i want. I just dont know if i could afford nitrious especially since its something you have to refill and stuff.
A nitrous refil is about $40 - $50 for a 10lb bottle.

Nitrous is is no way "rice rocket". There were big block chevy's with 200 shot fogger kits before rice rockets had primer body panels.

IMHO those lights are 100% rice and should not be put on a Mustang.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Eighty1 View Post
A nitrous refil is about $40 - $50 for a 10lb bottle.

Nitrous is is no way "rice rocket". There were big block chevy's with 200 shot fogger kits before rice rockets had primer body panels.

IMHO those lights are 100% rice and should not be put on a Mustang.
Ok i will not put them on my car thanks for the input. I know nothing about cars and im trying to learn. How long does a 10lb bottle last for?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Ok i will not put them on my car thanks for the input. I know nothing about cars and im trying to learn. How long does a 10lb bottle last for?
with a 100 shot, id say 5-6 great 1/4 mile passes and 2-3 fair passes.

definatly need a bottle heater, as well as the other goodies. WOT switch, window switch, etc etc
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Eighty1 View Post
I did 229 RWHP Stock

I did 241 RWHP with a K&N and a 03 Cobra silcencer

I did 264 RWHP with those mods + an o/r X pipe, Magnaflow catback, TB and plenum

I did 278 RWHP with those mods + a predator and a tune

I havent dynoed recently with the bullitt intake but I suspect its mid to high 280's

Suffice to say - your #'s are slightly skewed and rather low.
Not callin b.s. or anything but those numbers seem pretty high for what most people on here post. I think it was Csledd that had all bolt ons you mentioned plus long tube headers and UDPs and she was making like 270rwhp. Plus you gained 20hp with just intake?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Not callin b.s. or anything but those numbers seem pretty high for what most people on here post. I think it was Csledd that had all bolt ons you mentioned plus long tube headers and UDPs and she was making like 270rwhp. Plus you gained 20hp with just intake?
Most people think that all catbacks are identical, or all X pipes are identical, or all throttle bodies are identical also... they are wrong.

Most people also think that engine breakin doesnt matter, I have done this method on all my cars, and all of them have been above the norm.

Also not sure where you learned math, 241 - 229 = 12. 12 < 20.

I can post dyno sheets and some vids if you like.

FWIW, until the predator went on I was on 87 octane also.

The day I did 229 stock, another guy did 221 stock... I had about 800 miles on my car then, he had about 6,000 - the differences were he was on 91 octane. I was on 87. And how we drove the cars for our breakin period.

Most people assume the Mustang needs 91 octane, and unless you have advanced timing or a power adder, the extra octane causes you to loose power.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

I was calculating the crank horsepower after the intake to the 260hp rating our cars have stock. My bad on he mishap there. I was just stating that your numbers are higher than what most people usually get. Not saying you are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
I was calculating the crank horsepower after the intake to the 260hp rating our cars have stock. My bad on he mishap there. I was just stating that your numbers are higher than what most people usually get. Not saying you are wrong.
No worries - it happens.

If you figuire 15% loss based on stock #'s that put my car at 270 stock, and r3d's closer to 275 stock - honestly how often are the factory ratings actually true ?

My #'s are higher, because I didnt just throw together any ole parts. And I think running the proper octane, and a good break in early in the motors life - played a part in that also.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 AM
B-rett's Avatar
BMC Member# 03209
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: north ridgeville, ohio
Posts: 1,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Not callin b.s. or anything but those numbers seem pretty high for what most people on here post. I think it was Csledd that had all bolt ons you mentioned plus long tube headers and UDPs and she was making like 270rwhp. Plus you gained 20hp with just intake?
Im agreeing with you, im running 266 rwhp
vt stage 2 cams
bbk cai
flowmaster 40s catback
mac o/r h pipe
tune
and car only has 30,000 miles so its not like i lost any hp along the road lol

csledd is gettin like 297
with everything i said plus
headers
tb/plenum
more aggresive tune

So his numbers do not really match up with mine and clsedd, maybe his dyno rates realy high or hes just full of **** lol

p.s. Csledd has one of the highest hp rating bolt on car that many ppl has seen, her numbers are really good
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
r3dn3ck's Avatar
Wowbagger hates me too!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Magrathea/California
Posts: 9,865
Default

factory ratings are intended to be a minimum expected output. Ford has been stung a few times letting cars out that don't meet their rating. It's also not uncommon for motors built on the same day at the same plant to be as much as 10% or more out of sync in output.

that's part of what makes car buying fun.

EDIT: dynojet and mustang brand dynos are also famous for not agreeing, so csledd may have gone to a dynojet and gotten higher numbers off it. What you want is to have a baseline number and keep it moving up. Race tracks are where numbers count. Dyno's are just for tuning and estimation.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rett View Post
Im agreeing with you, im running 266 rwhp
vt stage 2 cams
bbk cai
flowmaster 40s catback
mac o/r h pipe
tune
and car only has 30,000 miles so its not like i lost any hp along the road lol

csledd is gettin like 297
with everything i said plus
headers
tb/plenum
more aggresive tune

So his numbers do not really match up with mine and clsedd, maybe his dyno rates realy high or hes just full of **** lol

p.s. Csledd has one of the highest hp rating bolt on car that many ppl has seen, her numbers are really good
Ditch the BBKrap hot air and the ****masters - I bet you are pushing 280's. With a TB/Plenum possibly 290's (you have lots of flow in the head now, but plenty of restriction on the intake side).

Also find out what your timing is in your tune. Higher octane fuel is NOT always better. The goal of is to run the LOWEST octane possible, without pre-ignition. So if you are on 91 and your timing is not insane, try 89 or 87

My room mate went from a flows to SLP and gained 19 RWHP. Flows actually LOOSE power compared to stock, they just make lots of noise because they are chambered.

To add to this, I'm at 2300 feet elevation, and after you factor the weather and humidity its close to 4,000 - 5,000 feet DA. Cars don't breathe so great up here. Going to Phoenix drops about .5 off the ET, and some other nearby places closer to sea level have an even larger gain.

Damn did we hijack this thread or what
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Yeah we did, but the guy who started it stopped posting. I need to get to a dyno to see what I'm pushing plus to get a nice tune.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

hey 2eighty1, could you post up a video clip? I want to hear what your O/R X pipe and Magnaflow exhaust sound like.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
B-rett's Avatar
BMC Member# 03209
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: north ridgeville, ohio
Posts: 1,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Eighty1 View Post
Ditch the BBKrap hot air and the ****masters - I bet you are pushing 280's. With a TB/Plenum possibly 290's (you have lots of flow in the head now, but plenty of restriction on the intake side).

Also find out what your timing is in your tune. Higher octane fuel is NOT always better. The goal of is to run the LOWEST octane possible, without pre-ignition. So if you are on 91 and your timing is not insane, try 89 or 87

My room mate went from a flows to SLP and gained 19 RWHP. Flows actually LOOSE power compared to stock, they just make lots of noise because they are chambered.

To add to this, I'm at 2300 feet elevation, and after you factor the weather and humidity its close to 4,000 - 5,000 feet DA. Cars don't breathe so great up here. Going to Phoenix drops about .5 off the ET, and some other nearby places closer to sea level have an even larger gain.

Damn did we hijack this thread or what

bbk and flows were on car when i got it those were the only mods........dont feel like spending money on a CAI and will not leave the flows the gurgle of the flows,o/r h, and cams is simply amazing and i personally think that slp sounds like complete ***...........but 20rwhp from a cai and a catback is unheard of

o ya and im still running 87 octane, i kept 87 because i didnt feel like paying $6 a gallon this summer for a few extra ponies
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My mustang 2002 GT is throwing codes pxsulliv Modular 4.6L Tech 2 04-21-2010 03:00 PM
2002 ford mustang Cd player hotshot13422 The Parts Desk 5 06-09-2007 10:01 PM
2002 mustang for sale.32k miles for 9500 $ 02mustang4sale Pictures 5 01-06-2007 08:30 PM
2002 mustang for sale.32k miles for 9500 $ 02mustang4sale V6 Tech Forums 0 01-06-2007 06:44 PM
Pics Of My Baby!! 2002 Mustang Gt!! Page1 FullThrottleStang Pictures 64 05-20-2006 11:35 AM


Tags
02, 100000, 2002, 260, dual, fast, flowmaster, gt, horsepower, hp, miles, mustang, stock, trim, v1, v8

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.