supercharger help - Mustang Boards


Power Adders Technical discussions for forced induction with nitrous and blowers.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
Default supercharger help

OK I have a 96 gt with some mods, It time for some more power. I want to get to about 450 . I think my best bet would be a supercharger. I have done some research on different ones. I think i will go with a used kit, or piece it together. I need some help with what all i will need.I want it to be intercooled.
Current mods
-pi intake
-75mm tb
-90 shot of nitrous
-short throw shifter
-off road h pipe
-flowmaster mufflers
-lowering springs

Im looking for options for a supercharger
What i will need for it.
Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Well if you go the Vortech route, look up the install manual on their website and they'll basically list all the components needed for the install. That's where I started. I pieced everything together myself. Essentially you'll need the head unit, oil feed/return lines, bracket, fuel pump, injectors, pulley, belt, lightning maf. If you want to go intercooled, you have a few options. I went the blow-thru route which will require a blow-thru maf and then you can use a blow off valve. If you go with the lightning maf, then you'll need a better bypass valve than the stock Vortech one and need to modify the discharge pipe to attach it and have it recirculate back. Piecing together sounds more difficult and expensive, but it's really not if you make a list of everything you need ahead of time.

I bought the head unit, injectors, fuel pump, and pulley used from members on corral.net
Use superchargersonline.com to buy the bracket assembly and oil feed/return lines. It will come with all the hardware and everything you need. That takes care of a huge chunk of what you need right there. Then I bought the intercooler and all piping off ebay. It's CXRacing brand which has been fine, but you do have to cut and fit the pipes yourself. The kit I bought also came with a blow off valve.

So there you have it for the most part. You have lots of options to go with. Pretty much everything I listed would pretty much work with all centrifugal superchargers for the most part. Hope that helps some.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pinole, Ca
Posts: 3,842
Default

Awesome advice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
Default

Can I still use my nitrous?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM
whitestang04's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,381
Default

You can but it's even more important to have the tune right when you are running two power adders. As always err to the side of caution (rich tune). Oh and make sure your supporting components are up to the task. You need to make sure your fuel system is capable of supplying enough fuel for both, if you don't it'll go lean and go BOOM. You also need to have a bottom end (forged crank,rods, pistons, bolts) that will hold up to whatever your power goal is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
Default

Well my goal was around 450, but im not sure if my stock bottom end will take that much.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
whitestang04's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996gtmustang View Post
Well my goal was around 450, but im not sure if my stock bottom end will take that much.
450 on the stock short block is at the edge. If it was me I'd probably keep the power around 400 hp unless A) you have the money to fix it if things go south or B) You build the the bottom end for more power.

Is this your daily driver?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
Default

Is 400 hp possible with my npi heads?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
08mustang_gt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Liberty, Missouri
Posts: 2,201
Default

400 hp with a shot is definitely possible. Without a shot you're going to be spinning the centri pretty hard if its one of the smaller units. But I say do-able no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 AM
bigkeeko's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Well if you go the Vortech route, look up the install manual on their website and they'll basically list all the components needed for the install. That's where I started. I pieced everything together myself. Essentially you'll need the head unit, oil feed/return lines, bracket, fuel pump, injectors, pulley, belt, lightning maf. If you want to go intercooled, you have a few options. I went the blow-thru route which will require a blow-thru maf and then you can use a blow off valve. If you go with the lightning maf, then you'll need a better bypass valve than the stock Vortech one and need to modify the discharge pipe to attach it and have it recirculate back. Piecing together sounds more difficult and expensive, but it's really not if you make a list of everything you need ahead of time.

I bought the head unit, injectors, fuel pump, and pulley used from members on corral.net
Use superchargersonline.com to buy the bracket assembly and oil feed/return lines. It will come with all the hardware and everything you need. That takes care of a huge chunk of what you need right there. Then I bought the intercooler and all piping off ebay. It's CXRacing brand which has been fine, but you do have to cut and fit the pipes yourself. The kit I bought also came with a blow off valve.

So there you have it for the most part. You have lots of options to go with. Pretty much everything I listed would pretty much work with all centrifugal superchargers for the most part. Hope that helps some.
Sounded good to me. Good info (I`m looking at the the doing same thing).

Sounds kinda soft saying this but I like the supercharger `whistle` or whine` I like the noise it makes. I`d hate to piece it all together to find its near silent.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkeeko View Post
Sounded good to me. Good info (I`m looking at the the doing same thing).

Sounds kinda soft saying this but I like the supercharger `whistle` or whine` I like the noise it makes. I`d hate to piece it all together to find its near silent.
I have one of the older Vortech models. The V1 S-trim and that thing is loud. You can definitely hear it inside and outside of the car. I love it.

Here's a video of my car my friend did. Gives you a little idea of what the Vortech sounds like. Towards the end of the video you can really hear the supercharger. It gets loud when the car is all warmed up.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/supe...t_2008828.htm#
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pinole, Ca
Posts: 3,842
Default

You can hear the V2 SQ trims at idle. They whistle loud enough to make pedestrians look at your car in awe.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
!NEED HELP! WINTER concerns w/ Supercharger pine9280 Power Adders 9 10-15-2011 09:19 PM
Help with Supercharger Ideas 281!!! Power Adders 2 06-11-2009 12:18 PM
supercharger question/help HairFarmer Power Adders 20 02-08-2007 03:18 PM
2002 gt supercharger help chatmanv6 Power Adders 8 04-26-2006 06:05 PM
91 Gt Help With Vortec Supercharger JDawg965 5.0L Tech 1 05-25-2005 08:13 AM


Tags
1996, 2010, 50, blow, centrifugal, fit, forums, gt, install, maf, mods, mustang, strim, supercharger, superchargers, supporting, v1, valve, vortech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.