Ford Reigns Supreme - Mustang Boards


Political Talk Keep it intelligent in here. All political topics are fair game.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Lazerred6's Avatar
Pocket Rocket
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 3,791
Default Ford Reigns Supreme

Chrysler is going bankrupt and getting a majority share bought by fiat and GM is cutting things left and right

Ford FTW
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
King's Avatar
iDontcare
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,432
Default

For now. It's just a matter of time before they resume talks about selling Volvo.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Lazerred6's Avatar
Pocket Rocket
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
For now. It's just a matter of time before they resume talks about selling Volvo.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
WNRacing's Avatar
KWITCHERBITCHIN
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gallatin, TN
Posts: 6,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
For now. It's just a matter of time before they resume talks about selling Volvo.
I'm gonna start calling you negative nancy..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
King's Avatar
iDontcare
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,432
Default

I prefer Debbie Downer

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Ford is still losing billions so they are definitely not in the clear. Just because they have been over shadowed by Chrysler and GM doesn't mean they are safe.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Switch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Ford is still losing billions so they are definitely not in the clear. Just because they have been over shadowed by Chrysler and GM doesn't mean they are safe.
Ford's still in trouble. They're just in less trouble than GM
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM
blank
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Default

Ford might be loosing billions, but they are closing the gap rather quickly as the bad news from the two dummies are giving Ford's stock a boost. Going from $1.50 to $6 in what, a month or two? That's a lot of cash. Plus, where as you hear bad news from the other two, Ford keeps saying they will be in the black by next year. I don't hear the other two saying that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Lances03SVT's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Carthage, Missouri
Posts: 9,684
Default

You cant keep losing money like Ford is doing right now and not be in trouble.What do you think Ford is going to say instead of positive things?Do yo think they would say anything but what they are doing is turning them around?

Have you been too a Ford Dealership lately?Not alot of action there either.I've seen the same 08's and 09's sitting on the same lots for almost a year in some places.A local Dealership finally sold the 08 Bullitt they have had in the showroom for over a year and sold it for $10,000 below sticker.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 AM
blank
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Default

Yes but they are reporting that their losses are decreasing and don't forget, they were just about in the black when this mess happened. And now, they say they will be by next year. Ford might be loosing money but they are loosing less of it day by day, unlike the other two who are loosing more of it day by day.

And FWIW, Ford is a public company, the information it provides has to be truthful due to liability. And considering how its financial situation is improving day by day, it is positive. Now the dealerships may not be selling but have you seen how many there are? Where I live, there's one for every town, which is a bit excessive. I know it's bad, there's one by me that still has an 07 Super Duty on the lot. Yet Toyota only has 2 dealerships near me, versus Ford which has 3 and if you expand my area, Ford has 7 and Toyota has 4, and yet Toyota sells more. Now it probably wouldn't be so bad if there weren't as many dealerships, but Ford, just like the other two, had a 60's philosophy of selling up until now. Remember though, be it as it may, Ford isn't announcing the massive lay-offs like GM or bankruptcy like Chrysler. Plus, you never saw the massive reductions like GM (axing of divisions, going from 350,000 employees to only 35,000, etc.).

Speaking of which, Volvo would be a mistake if it was sold. They can provide money for Ford, if they keep it going. Selling Mazda was also a mistake, since again, they would sell well if it wasn't just a rebadged Ford. Same goes for Mercury. Problem is they need money to fix this mistake brought on by badge engineering but I hope that these divisions stay around.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 AM
zigzagg321's Avatar
Ninja
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 10,155
Default

American car companies FTL. they did it to themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Ford may be improving some and doing better then the other American companies, but I would hardly say they are doing well. There have been numerous dealerships within 100 miles of me that have closed down. A lot of them were big dealerships to. The big one closest to me closed down the end of last year and has since been replaced by Toyota.

Ford stock = $5.80, Toyota = $79.33

Not saying theres much I would buy from Toyota in the way of performance cars, but they are obviously doing something right. I do enjoy my SUV from them though.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
blank
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Default

That stock price difference makes no sense too, especially since Ford out sold Toyota last month. I'm not saying they're doing well, but I'm saying that they are fine and in a position to recover just fine. And as mentioned, forget about the dealerships. The reason they're closing is because there's too many. For too long the American automakers have been wasting money by selling using 1970's figures. No need to have a dealership in every town, as Toyota showed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
That stock price difference makes no sense too, especially since Ford out sold Toyota last month. I'm not saying they're doing well, but I'm saying that they are fine and in a position to recover just fine. And as mentioned, forget about the dealerships. The reason they're closing is because there's too many. For too long the American automakers have been wasting money by selling using 1970's figures. No need to have a dealership in every town, as Toyota showed.
Well the stocks don't lie. It's good that they are improving but I don't know about them being fine. A company losing billions really isn't fine. If I were losing thousands of dollars a year but still staying afloat, I still wouldn't consider myself as being fine.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Lazerred6's Avatar
Pocket Rocket
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 3,791
Default

When I started the thread I meant it for the big 3

Toyota can't play because they aren't just a motor company they deal with robotics and biotechnology they also have over 500 subsidierys

ford has 4 all automotive related
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Switch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Well the stocks don't lie. It's good that they are improving but I don't know about them being fine. A company losing billions really isn't fine. If I were losing thousands of dollars a year but still staying afloat, I still wouldn't consider myself as being fine.
Stock prices really don't mean too much. If toyota wanted to, they could split their stock and have a lower price than Ford does, but still be in the same position financially.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Stock prices really don't mean too much. If toyota wanted to, they could split their stock and have a lower price than Ford does, but still be in the same position financially.
I was just trying to show a comparison since bassman had mentioned Fords stock took a big leap.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerred6 View Post
When I started the thread I meant it for the big 3

Toyota can't play because they aren't just a motor company they deal with robotics and biotechnology they also have over 500 subsidierys

ford has 4 all automotive related
Yeah but Toyota Motors Corporation is still doing well.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Lazerred6's Avatar
Pocket Rocket
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Yeah but Toyota Motors Corporation is still doing well.
Oh I totally agree they are doing great
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerred6 View Post
Oh I totally agree they are doing great
You know I think Ford would do a little better if they brought some of their Australian and European lines over here. I think the falcon would be a pretty sweet car over here and I know the older focus's use to be much better over in Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
blank
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Yeah but Toyota Motors Corporation is still doing well.
So you say Toyota is doing well but Ford isn't? Remember, Ford just overtook Toyota in sales, which was the opposite of last year. Plus, Ford dropped by 31% from last year. Toyota dropped by 42%. Ford may have been loosing billions but Toyota is getting hit much harder.

Also, Ford isn't just automotive. They have many other smaller divisions, however, they have been selling most of them. This is similar to GM, who provides lending services via GMAC (another reason why GM is in trouble).

As for Ford bringing cars over, they are. The Fiesta is coming over from Europe, the Focus is the Euro Focus (though I believe a generation behind), there's talks about bringing the Land Rover diesel over to the F-150, etc. Problem is, there's no plans to bring the hot Aussie muscle over or even to have RWD cars (besides the Mustang) again. Shame too because Chrysler showed how profitable RWD can be w/ the LX cars. However, eco-friendly is the name of the game now so that means the eco-boost engines and FWD.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
PColav6's Avatar
FYL.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 7,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
You know I think Ford would do a little better if they brought some of their Australian and European lines over here. I think the falcon would be a pretty sweet car over here and I know the older focus's use to be much better over in Europe.

The new focus dominated the Nurburgring or whatever the **** compared to the other FWD cars.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 PM
PistonsFan102's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
Ford may be improving some and doing better then the other American companies, but I would hardly say they are doing well. There have been numerous dealerships within 100 miles of me that have closed down. A lot of them were big dealerships to. The big one closest to me closed down the end of last year and has since been replaced by Toyota.

Ford stock = $5.80, Toyota = $79.33

Not saying theres much I would buy from Toyota in the way of performance cars, but they are obviously doing something right. I do enjoy my SUV from them though.
People who bought Ford stock about 3-4 months ago made a killing since it was only at $1 change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
You know I think Ford would do a little better if they brought some of their Australian and European lines over here. I think the falcon would be a pretty sweet car over here and I know the older focus's use to be much better over in Europe.
I agree with this. Their sales overseas are actually good, and I'm almost positive they have seen net income the previous few years.

I like their foreign cars, escpecially the new Ford Falcon in Australia. That is one hell of nice car. Even the Focus' over there look nicer. WTF.

Last edited by PistonsFan102; 05-05-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
As for Ford bringing cars over, they are. The Fiesta is coming over from Europe, the Focus is the Euro Focus (though I believe a generation behind), there's talks about bringing the Land Rover diesel over to the F-150, etc. Problem is, there's no plans to bring the hot Aussie muscle over or even to have RWD cars (besides the Mustang) again. Shame too because Chrysler showed how profitable RWD can be w/ the LX cars. However, eco-friendly is the name of the game now so that means the eco-boost engines and FWD.
Now I can't say the Fiesta is a cool car by any means. Never was. Not sure why Ford would bring that over here. It even has a stupid name. Anyways, I see your point and it's good that Ford is improving.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM
blank
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Default

They're bringing it over for one reason: mileage. Small cars are going to be the money makers and while everyone else has a subcompact, Ford doesn't. It's a shame too since gas is back down to reasonable levels again so some nice RWD cars would be a good seller. Question is how long is gas going to stay down. It's a real pitty too since now the Panthers are being phased out.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
01FR500's Avatar
I'd Hit It
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texarkana, TX/Conway, AR
Posts: 2,847
Default

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
They're bringing it over for one reason: mileage. Small cars are going to be the money makers and while everyone else has a subcompact, Ford doesn't. It's a shame too since gas is back down to reasonable levels again so some nice RWD cars would be a good seller. Question is how long is gas going to stay down. It's a real pitty too since now the Panthers are being phased out.
It sucks that we are going to be seeing a bunch of shitty small cars. People should have choices. If they want to waste their own money and buy a car that gets 20mpg as opposed to like 35mpg, then so be it. They know that gas prices fluctuate quite often so plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
00blkstanggt's Avatar
Hot, Nasty, Bad ass speed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Livermore, Ca
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01FR500 View Post
Congrats to them and thats already been brought up. Now lets see if they can consistently do it. One month doesn't mean much.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
blank
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blkstanggt View Post
It sucks that we are going to be seeing a bunch of shitty small cars. People should have choices. If they want to waste their own money and buy a car that gets 20mpg as opposed to like 35mpg, then so be it. They know that gas prices fluctuate quite often so plan accordingly.
Tell that to Congress. It's reasons like this that make CAFE a meaningless mandate (as well as one that isn't practical). As long as the gas-guzzler tax is around, you won't see spacey cars like those from 30 years ago every again (never mind RWD and V8s).
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mustang Supreme Suspension Kit 1965-1966 [email protected] Sponsors 0 02-12-2013 08:19 AM
Supreme Court Hits One Out of the Park r3dn3ck Political Talk 13 12-05-2010 11:03 AM
Car Buyers sue Ford Default Car buyers sue Ford over limited edition vehicle PColav6 The Lounge 8 08-06-2008 04:47 PM
Pics from Fun Ford weekend (ford GT only here) spike_africa Pictures 14 03-06-2006 09:18 AM
Dick Parker Ford & Cella Ford.... Rejekt The Lounge 0 02-01-2006 09:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM.