Mustang Boards

Mustang Boards (/)
-   Power Adders (https://mustangboards.com/power-adders/)
-   -   2000 GT what type of supercharger to get (https://mustangboards.com/power-adders/41062-2000-gt-what-type-supercharger-get.html)

cooperm 03-04-2011 06:58 PM

2000 GT what type of supercharger to get
 
I am wanting to get around 400 HP, and think a super charger will get me there. I currently have the following installed.
  1. CAI
  2. 70mm throttle body and Plenum
  3. 4.10 gears
  4. I have it tuned with SCT Xtreme tuner
I was looking at a Kenne Bell 1.7 kit. (I am open to other options if you have a better option)

My question is will a supercharger be a good fit in my current build and will I still be able to tune the car with my SCT Xtreme?

Thank you for any advice you can give.
Mark

stanger00 03-04-2011 08:19 PM

Kenne Bell doesnt make a 1.7 supercharger anymore. They have the 2.1 now. Also, Kenne Bell sends you their supercharger kit with a tune specific for your vehicle. You may have to modify your CAI to work with the KB but the plenum will be nothing but a paper weight after the KB is installed.

The KB 9 psi intercooled kit will put your car at 400hp with no problem.

08mustang_gt 03-04-2011 09:43 PM

Go turbo instead. Trust me.

SnTBakosFinest 03-05-2011 01:26 AM

Either go with a turbo...which may put you into the 450+ range, or vortech which will put you in like the 430 range, if i remember correctly..

00blkstanggt 03-05-2011 03:02 AM

What is your price range? If you had the money, then I'd say go turbo, but that's probably the more costly route. I prefer centrifugal superchargers myself, but it comes down to preference. I have a vortech on my 2000 GT.

Steeda97 03-05-2011 01:41 PM

Get a Nitrous one.

redfire04 03-06-2011 10:45 AM

The Kenne Belle is a great choice. You'll have crazy amount of torque down low and it will be hard to plant it to the ground with the 4.10's. Plan on getting some sticky tires or you'll just blow them off!

Centri's are nice setups as well...I love my procharger setup. Although, without longtubes you'll need to step down on pulley size to hit the 400 hp mark. You can typically get cenrti setups a bit cheaper than twin screws as well.

Either way you go you should be able to have your tuner use the sct.

chris's 98gt 03-06-2011 11:15 AM

Have you looked at On 3 Performance for a turbo kit you will have to put a k-member in to run a turbo but the price for their turbo kit is cheap and they sell complete kits alot cheaper than a kb and with a turbo the sky is the limit look them up on their site or go on ebay and put in On 3 Performance their kits are pretty nice and chad is a good guy he will help you with what ever you need for your car

TUFF 4.6 03-06-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfire04 (Post 471360)
The Kenne Belle is a great choice. You'll have crazy amount of torque down low and it will be hard to plant it to the ground with the 4.10's. Plan on getting some sticky tires or you'll just blow them off!

Centri's are nice setups as well...I love my procharger setup. Although, without longtubes you'll need to step down on pulley size to hit the 400 hp mark. You can typically get cenrti setups a bit cheaper than twin screws as well.

Either way you go you should be able to have your tuner use the sct.

How much boost are you running on your ProCharger?

redfire04 03-06-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUFF 4.6 (Post 471365)
How much boost are you running on your ProCharger?

Saw right about 7psi on the dyno with the 3.85 pulley.

cooperm 03-06-2011 07:33 PM

Everyone thank you for the input. I was trying to stay away from anything more than 5K. I also heard that the Turbo's was a pretty expensive, and required a lot of changes to accomadate. I am worried about making traction. I currently have a 315/35/17's on the back. The 4.10's make it impossible to hook up. With these tires I can at least keep it from breaking lose in 2nd. 1st gear still will not hookup. I have been reading where the vortech's work better with higher RPM's. Is that correct? If so does this help the Vortech generate power quicker? Is there a good website that shows how a Vortech is installed?
Thanks,
Mark

cooperm 03-06-2011 07:46 PM

I alos went to the On3 Performance website. It looks like the kit is around 1800, then the other accessories will be be another 1000 to 1500. Does that sound right, that seems to be fairly cheap.

Thanks,
Mark

stanger00 03-06-2011 08:10 PM

You will need better tires. I been running 315/35 Nitto drag radials for the past 5 years on my vortech blown mustang.

With the on 3 performance turbo you will just have to buy all supporting stuff separate. Fuel will be the problem because the SVT focus pump will probably not be enough to handle the 8 psi spring. You will either have to go with twin pumps and add an additional FPDM or go the cheap route and install a BAP with the Focus pump. This turbo is a great option and price.

redfire04 03-06-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperm (Post 471373)
Everyone thank you for the input. I was trying to stay away from anything more than 5K. I also heard that the Turbo's was a pretty expensive, and required a lot of changes to accomadate. I am worried about making traction. I currently have a 315/35/17's on the back. The 4.10's make it impossible to hook up. With these tires I can at least keep it from breaking lose in 2nd. 1st gear still will not hookup. I have been reading where the vortech's work better with higher RPM's. Is that correct? If so does this help the Vortech generate power quicker? Is there a good website that shows how a Vortech is installed?
Thanks,
Mark

Yeah there are big differences between twin screw blowers (kenne belle) and centrifugal blowers like vortech and procharger. Twin screws build boost down low (2k or so) so it comes on much faster....with centri setups the power and boost come on much more gradually building boost at and above 3-4k. Centri's will continue to build boost reaching peak boost at or near red line. That being said a centri blower will generate power less quickly than a twin screw.

One thing we didn't ask...do you have a 5 speed or auto? I think an auto with 4.10's will plant the power to the ground easier than a 5 speed.

00blkstanggt 03-07-2011 07:53 AM

with the 4.10s a centri would be a good way to go. You already have decent low end torque and with those gears, you have enough to get you off the line, then you have the centri kick in at a higher rpm to keep you going. If you take the time and patience, you can piece together a vortech kit for 2k or a little less. That's what I did and then I installed it myself. You can print the vortech install manual off of their website. It's pretty straight forward and easy for the most part. The only nerve racking thing which turned out to be fairly simple, is punching a hole in the oil pan and tapping it.

Kyanbi 03-07-2011 10:26 AM

This is a bit off topic but I figured I'd ask here instead of creating another thread. Can twin-screw blowers use an air-to-air cooler or do they stick with air-to-water? I was just browsing the other day and saw the Tork Tech kit... it appears that it used the stock 03/04 Cobra air-to-air, which leaves me confused.

cooperm 03-07-2011 05:14 PM

Sorry I should have mentioned I have the OEM 5 speed. The tires are Sumitomo HTRZ. I picked them becuase a guy at the tire shop said he ran them becuase it was the only thing he could get to hook up. It is still fairly cold, so maybe when it warms up it will be a little bit better.

So I think I am leaning towards the Vortech, is their a particulare kit I should get to get me to te 400 mark? Also am I looking for othe changes as well?

For instance; Clutch, fuel pump, etc...
Here is a site that I found several. Reputable?
http://www.shopsupercharger.com/c-91...aspx?pagenum=3

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

redfire04 03-07-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperm (Post 471391)
Sorry I should have mentioned I have the OEM 5 speed. The tires are Sumitomo HTRZ. I picked them becuase a guy at the tire shop said he ran them becuase it was the only thing he could get to hook up. It is still fairly cold, so maybe when it warms up it will be a little bit better.

So I think I am leaning towards the Vortech, is their a particulare kit I should get to get me to te 400 mark? Also am I looking for othe changes as well?

For instance; Clutch, fuel pump, etc...
Here is a site that I found several. Reputable?
http://www.shopsupercharger.com/c-91...aspx?pagenum=3

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

The sumitomos are not going to hook up well even with your current setup. When I daily drove mine I had sumitomos hrtz 2's and they were crap for traction. When I got my supercharger I was no longer daily driving my GT and I could only stand the sumitomos for so long.

If your thinking vortech I would recommend a air to air intercooler similar to what a procharger comes with. A lot of people use the CXracing intercooler and piping. An intercooler is going to help keep IAT's down and make more power. From what I've seen these kits are pretty cheap. Many base vortech kits I've seen only make 360-370 without an intercooler and 390-400 with an intercooler depending on pulley size and other mods obviously.

I'll also throw out summitracing.com as a reputable site. I've made a few purchases with them and they price match too!

SnTBakosFinest 03-07-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfire04 (Post 471394)
The sumitomos are not going to hook up well even with your current setup. When I daily drove mine I had sumitomos hrtz 2's and they were crap for traction. When I got my supercharger I was no longer daily driving my GT and I could only stand the sumitomos for so long.

If your thinking vortech I would recommend a air to air intercooler similar to what a procharger comes with. A lot of people use the CXracing intercooler and piping. An intercooler is going to help keep IAT's down and make more power. From what I've seen these kits are pretty cheap. Many base vortech kits I've seen only make 360-370 without an intercooler and 390-400 with an intercooler depending on pulley size and other mods obviously.

I'll also throw out summitracing.com as a reputable site. I've made a few purchases with them and they price match too!

A pulley swap on the kit isn't bad, I'd recommend running meth with the vortech. And if you plan on getting on it you're going to want to invest in a decent set of tires.... those Sumis will do nothing for you traction wise..

stanger00 03-08-2011 12:47 AM

M

eth is a great thing to have.

Sumi tires just suck and I still don't know why people praise them in a performance stand point. They suck.

I run a paxton intercooler 1. was because I had the money 2. ebay kits were not made at the time and I didn't want 20 ft of tubing to hook the fucking thing up. Paxton kit is super compact only 3-4 pipes but it costs a lot of fucking money. I wouldn't do it again. I would of bought a turbo instead.

The P1 is great but if you plan to grow past 500 horsepower opt for the D1 instead.

The kenne bell would just fun as hell on the street with the instant boost and flat torque line from 2k rpms to 5k and horsepower that has a curve very similar to a centri car. You can't beat it nor the noise it makes at WOT. Then you could legitmately call your car a true tire shredder.

Even if you had stock [327] gears with a power adder traction will be an issue with street tires. Drag radials should be mandatory. Again, my opinion only.

00blkstanggt 03-08-2011 08:03 AM

I'm using the cxracing intercooler and it's not too bad. I also have a blow-thru setup so I'm running a blow off valve as well. Going with a smaller pulley will be needed when using an intercooler. I'm using a 3.33" pulley now and only putting down 330rwhp. It still pulls nicely, but more power would be nice. I just need a different pulley. I get so many people looking at the car or asking me if it's supercharged when I drive by since the Vortech v1 s-trim is so god damn loud, but I love it.

cooperm 03-09-2011 10:26 AM

so I think it will be the vortech, now it is to find out which model they offer. Their are so many to choose from. I see the tuner kits are not a complete system. So I need to stay away from them for simplicity? I have read now about the Sumi tires and see where they are not as good as the drag radial. What do you run on the front if you run them, I see where it recommends to only run them on the drive tires and storage them in the winter.

Sorry for all the questions, just a lot of info to process and it is new.

Thanks,
Mark

00blkstanggt 03-09-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperm (Post 471433)
so I think it will be the vortech, now it is to find out which model they offer. Their are so many to choose from. I see the tuner kits are not a complete system. So I need to stay away from them for simplicity? I have read now about the Sumi tires and see where they are not as good as the drag radial. What do you run on the front if you run them, I see where it recommends to only run them on the drive tires and storage them in the winter.

Sorry for all the questions, just a lot of info to process and it is new.

Thanks,
Mark

superchargersonline.com will be your friend. They have everything from complete kits to all the necessary components if you want to piece a kit together. There are several different models to choose from and all depends on what your hp goals are. I believe most head units handle up to at least 500-600 hp, so any of those will be fine since you'll be in the 400hp range. Anything above and you'll be replacing a lot more parts. I'm running sumis in the rear and BFGs in the front. Yeah the sumis aren't best on traction but i don't really drag race or anything so they are fine for me. Most my power is up top anyways so they do just fine.

stanger00 03-09-2011 11:14 PM

I run BFG tires up front.

Will you be buying a brand new system? If you are than you can only buy the v3 vortechs. Not sure if they are still selling the v2's. I run a v2 with a 3.1 pulley and paxton cooler. Too much boost though at 11-12 psi. I only put 400 to the rear tires through my automatic with 91 octane.

Its not hard piecing together a system. You will need vortech tuner kit, 39lb or 42lb injectors, 90mm MAF (ford lightning), kenne bell boost-a-pump or a svt focus fuel pump, NGK TR6 plugs and a dyno tune using your x-cal. That alone with a v2 system will put out 8psi and around 360 hp. Install a powerpipe from AFM or steeda and you will get 9psi and around 370-375 hp.

SnTBakosFinest 03-10-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger00 (Post 471461)
I run BFG tires up front.

Will you be buying a brand new system? If you are than you can only buy the v3 vortechs. Not sure if they are still selling the v2's. I run a v2 with a 3.1 pulley and paxton cooler. Too much boost though at 11-12 psi. I only put 400 to the rear tires through my automatic with 91 octane.

Its not hard piecing together a system. You will need vortech tuner kit, 39lb or 42lb injectors, 90mm MAF (ford lightning), kenne bell boost-a-pump or a svt focus fuel pump, NGK TR6 plugs and a dyno tune using your x-cal. That alone with a v2 system will put out 8psi and around 360 hp. Install a powerpipe from AFM or steeda and you will get 9psi and around 370-375 hp.

That automatic will eat some power, in a manual you'd see some extra horsepower.

redfire04 03-10-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperm (Post 471433)
so I think it will be the vortech, now it is to find out which model they offer. Their are so many to choose from. I see the tuner kits are not a complete system. So I need to stay away from them for simplicity? I have read now about the Sumi tires and see where they are not as good as the drag radial. What do you run on the front if you run them, I see where it recommends to only run them on the drive tires and storage them in the winter.

Sorry for all the questions, just a lot of info to process and it is new.

Thanks,
Mark

The tuner kits will just require you to buy things like injectors, fuel pump, tuner etc separate. This can actually save you some money because some of these things you can find pretty cheap used. For instance I picked up a set of 42lb injectors off a lightning for $50.

As far as the tires a drag radial will be a night and day difference to you. If you daily drive you'll want a winter set of wheels or tires (if you see snow). I currently run Mickey Thompson et street 2's (305/35/18) and some cheap fuzions up front. If you are picky and want your tread patterns to match many people run nitto drag radials and 555's up front. Or bfg drag radials and kdw2's up front.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 PM.