Show, Shine, and Tunes! Great talk on keeping your car looking the very best, discussing appearance items, and audio

Sirius Radio Installation

Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Default Sirius Radio Installation

I just called my local Ford dealer to see what it would cost to have Sirius Satellite Radio installed in my 2004 Mustang Convertible and they advised that it would be $389. I thought that was a little steep, however, probably will get it installed since I am tired of what is on FM now days. Any ideas if the dealership may offer specials on the installation of Sirius. I seem to recall calling about a year ago and the price has not gone down.

Thanks,
John

Old 11-28-2005, 08:10 AM

I have the sirius sportster. It isnt directly into the CD player but it comes in through an FM channel. It works awesome except if there is an FM station in the town that uses the same channel. It happends to me every once in a great while.

You can get a whole car kit with tuner for well under $100 and they sell an install platform deal on ebay that is $20 or so and gives a nice clean install.

Price of the service is 12.95 a month same as XM now. But prices of kits have went down alot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 11-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Traitor...lol

Dont go through ford for anything installation wise, they will bend you over and rape you for pretty much anything. Go to circuit city, I think it may be a little better, sometimes they have free installation stuff, or just do it yourself.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Sigma Beta Rho Soldier

Originally Posted by madmatt
Dont go through ford for anything installation wise, they will bend you over and rape you for pretty much anything. Go to circuit city, I think it may be a little better, sometimes they have free installation stuff, or just do it yourself.
No go on doing it yourself. Its a total pain to change out a deck in a Mustang. Unless you know what you are doing, its best to have a pro do it. Plus an antenna has to be mounted and a ton of other ****...not fun.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:10 AM

Mouting the antenna was a piece of cake, the entier install took me 20 minutes tops. That being said I didnt mess with the deck. But most Ford decks have the four holes in them that you slide a u shapped tool into them and the deck just pulls out.

I am assuming there is a plug in the back that you attached the OEM sirius tuner to. Just find a place to put the box that comes in the kit, hook up the wire to the stock head unit, hook up the positive and ground, run the antenna.

I have my antenna on the back deck between the speakers. I have no problems with reception and dont have an ugly black bump on my roof or trunk.

Here is how mine is setup.

It came with a cigarette lighter plug for power, I ran it under the center console and up through the storage bin under the armrest because there is a lighter plug there. I used that for my power.

I then rant the antenna wire under the dash, down behind the kick panel, under the door trim, under the rear seat, and around the frame of the seat back so both seats fold down and no wires are exposed. it went under the plastic trim piece that is directly above the rear seats, our from under that and mounted the antenna with velcro to the rear deck by the child seat latch.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 AM
King Lurker

does the Mach 460 have an auxillary plug in the back or do you have to use the FM Modulator?

Old 12-26-2005, 02:09 PM

I used the modulator. Its only $20 and it works great.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Default DarkShadow

you dont have to use 88.1 you can use any station that you like

Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
The Po-Po

New to the boards, but I just installed a OEM sirius unit in my 2009 Mustang two weeks ago. I had one of the dash mount units and was totally dissatisfied with it. Using the FM channel never seemed to get a clear reception. It was so bad in the mornings, I didn't even use it. It cleared up in the afternoon, but still had static. Didn't matter what channel it was tuned to. So I decided to go with the OEM sirius brain. Additionally, with a window mounted GPS, Radar Detector and the Sirius Radio, my dash was so cluttered it looked terrible.

Installation was so simple that I thought I did something wrong. I purchased the unit and antenna from Ebay for $107. It had come out of a 2009 Ford Edge and still has until December on it's free subscription. I have the V6 Mustang, so had the standard single cd player model radio, NOT a shaker 500 or 1000. I thought originally that I'd install the brain in the trunk like they do with the shaker1000, behind the passenger side wheel well, but when I got the radio out - which was so easy - there was plenty of room to put the brain on top of the radio. The hardest part of the install was the antenna. I didn't have a drill bit large enough, so I had a tough time with that, but all told, it took me less than an hours time to get it completely installed.

I purchased the wiring harness online for $65.00. Since I was originally going to install it in the trunk, I got the long harness, but ended up just wrapping it up and using a few zip ties to keep it organized. Man talk about the difference between night and day. The new unit is CD quality.

So no more window mount for a unit. I moved the GPS next to the the Radar Detector in the center of the windshield, and ran those wires down to and behind the HVAC trim panels. Those wires run under the center console and into the storage compartment, where the power plug is. Just a few inches of wire shows now.

One thing to remember, get the SID number off the unit before you start putting all the trim back on. I forgot until I had everything hooked up and had to take it apart again.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM

My '09 came with sirius, not sure how it's all installed but the antenna is mounted in the middle of the trunk and it somehow connects to my shaker 500. Perfect reception 99.9% of the time (that 0.1% is when I go under things like overpasses, usually just get a split-second blip and then it's back to the music)

I activated my free 3 month trial and haven't touched a cd since. Very nice selection of tunes on several channels I highly recommend getting it if you don't already have it. From what I've read the install is bit tedious and I personally would probably have the dealer do it if I didn't have it OR buy a car that comes with it hehe