Show, Shine, and Tunes! Great talk on keeping your car looking the very best, discussing appearance items, and audio

Will two 12" subs fit in my trunk? 2002

Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
3.8 V6
Default Will two 12" subs fit in my trunk? 2002

I have an 02, vert if it matters, and have a deal on two 12" subs, already enclosed. I'm worried if they will fit in my trunk or not. I would have rather gotten 10s, but this is a very good deal. I'm going to meet this guy tomorrow to check everything out, but It'd be nice to know if they'd actually fit before I make him drive a good bit to meet me.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM

im almost certain it does i had two 10inch enclosed and they fit

Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Ninja

I had a 10 in a small box and it was a PITA...serious PITA to get it in, so Im not sure if a 12 in a box, let alone 2 of them will fit. Id wait till you hear from someone who has actually done it before you get them.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
3.8 V6

I'd be putting the box in my trunk to see if it fits before I buy anyway. I read that you have to remove something in the trunk with the Mach system? I think I found what they were talking about, up in the roof of the trunk. Does anyone know how to remove that section?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 AM

i can barely fit my 12" with box in, had to buy a sealed box cuz the ported one was too big. and there isnt much room in there because of the nawz

Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 AM

I have two 12 inch p'3 rockfords and my box won't fit it all depends on what you are putting in like what kind of subs you are running because my subs needed a really large box so they wouldn't fit in my trunk. so I ended up having to put them in my back seat. It all depends on what kind of sub's they are.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by stanley423
I have two 12 inch p'3 rockfords and my box won't fit it all depends on what you are putting in like what kind of subs you are running because my subs needed a really large box so they wouldn't fit in my trunk. so I ended up having to put them in my back seat. It all depends on what kind of sub's they are.
I hope you're kidding.....no offence.

Two 12's is going to sound retarded in a mustang IMO. I've worked in car audio for years and never should two 12's be in anything smaller than a 4-door Taurus. One 12 or even two 10's can be over powering.

You better dynamat the **** out of that thing or else it'll be rattling like a freaking bucket of bolts. And that sounds gay as hell.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm thinkin of throwing an Infinity Basslink II powered sub in my trunk. Its small and has speaker level inputs to make it a snap to add to the factory Mach system. I don't wanna be heard coming from a mile away (at least not because of my stereo), just want a lil more kick

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 08mustang_gt

Two 12's is going to sound retarded in a mustang IMO. I've worked in car audio for years and never should two 12's be in anything smaller than a 4-door Taurus. One 12 or even two 10's can be over powering.

You better dynamat the **** out of that thing or else it'll be rattling like a freaking bucket of bolts. And that sounds gay as hell.

That's not true. I had 2 12's in my stang for about 2 months and then I took them out, but they sounded very good. Only reason I took them out is because they took up to much space.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM

my car doesn't rattle like a bucket of bolts dude it is all about how you set it up and no offence but you must not know too much about sound systems to have worked with audio stuff. I just don't see how you can say that it would sound bad if you have never heard it before. plus I get complimented on how my car sounds all the time whether it be on my exaust or my sound system and yes I am sure that two twelves will fit in a stang just like "gutta" said and they don't sound bad at all.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 PM
3.8 V6

Originally Posted by 08mustang_gt

I agree with this completely. I wanted to stay away from 12s, but the deal sounded too good to pass up. I went and checked them out, and they hit pretty hard. When they would work. The things get craping out and blowing fuses. I said **** it lol. Now I'm looking at Kicker CVRs. 10" and a nice 1000w Kenwood amp.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 AM

those are pretty good too I used to have some of them they hit pretty good too and if those 12's kept blowing fuses then the guy didn't either know how to hook them up or something was wrong because mine have never blown a fuse and I have had them for over a year. but the 10's would probably be the best for you to go with if you want them in the trunk. just make sure that you get the kit to keep your license plate from rattling and if you don't want your lights to dim any get a compasitor.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM

my car doesn't rattle like a bucket of bolts dude it is all about how you set it up and no offence but you must not know too much about sound systems to have worked with audio stuff. I just don't see how you can say that it would sound bad if you have never heard it before. plus I get complimented on how my car sounds all the time whether it be on my exaust or my sound system and yes I am sure that two twelves will fit in a stang just like "gutta" said and they don't sound bad at all.
You've got to be kidding me. And I have heard it before. I go to college with other idiots like you who think two twelves in the rear of a two door car sounds good. But, you're wrong.

I have two 12" subs in my house, a 14 ft. x 18 ft. room. They're 400 watts each and cost me $800 each. Now you're going to tell me that to get good bass that you need two 12" subs in a mustang? That is probably only an 6x4 ft. space....yea ******* right. You have no idea what GOOD sound is, you just throw out the biggest size you can find so you feel badass. Please get out of this conversation and let the big boys play.

To respond Blaze. I believe the Kickers are much more suited as I had two stealth 10" kickers in my mustang before I removed them to replace for one 10" RF. Plus, they'll fit for sure lol.

Buying used subs has never come out well from what I've seen. They wouldn't be selling them if they sounded good now would they?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Alright dumbass now listen to me this time unlike before I never said I needed twelves to get good bass now did I? exactly so don't state things that were not said and secondly I don't give a damn what you say about if it sounds good to you or not I know it sounds good in my car and so do a lot of other people so back the **** off dude. I know about subs and if you would read my above statement I said that the ten would be better for the guy to put in his car because he doesn't want too much bass and if you are telling me that my car sounds like **** don't tell me you know because you don't because you have never heard my setup so therefore how the hell would you know? so don't tell me to get out of the conversation when I know what the hell I am talking about! also do you own a 2002 mustang? no I didn't think so.

Last edited by stanley423; 01-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
3.8 V6

EITHER WAY. I just purchased two brand new 10" CVRs, buy one get one free from crutchfield and free shipping, for $129. I also just bought a Kenwood 900w rms mono D-class amp for $160, also brand new. I'll be building my box sometime this weekend hopefully with a buddy of mine who knows how to make it sound it's best. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 AM

Hope it goes good are you going with a ported box or a sealed?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
3.8 V6

Ported. Can't wait

Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

nice that is what I have in mine. good luck hope you don't get any tickets lol what kind of cd player are you using?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Go Lobos!

I had 2 12" audiobahns in my saturn SC2 and that thing rattled like a mother if i had to do it all over again i would go with 2 10s. Been thinking about putting 1 10 in the mustang. Let us know how it sounds blaze!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Pocket Rocket

I hate when people have too much bass. No one wants to listen to your music and anybody with a shread of sense hates you. I get it when people want good sound quality but crazy bass is stupid. especially in a mustang

Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM

well that is your opinion dude I like the way my car sounds and to be honest that is all the really matters now isn't it?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Go Lobos!

well that is your opinion dude I like the way my car sounds and to be honest that is all the really matters now isn't it?

Chill out a little lol. I am sure it sounds nice. i loved my friends 12s in his stang. People are just giving their opinion...... Just like you are!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM

I understand that man but some people can be douchebags about everything but he can have his opinion but not take it personal or I get personal.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Alright dumbass now listen to me this time unlike before I never said I needed twelves to get good bass now did I? exactly so don't state things that were not said and secondly I don't give a damn what you say about if it sounds good to you or not I know it sounds good in my car and so do a lot of other people so back the **** off dude. I know about subs and if you would read my above statement I said that the ten would be better for the guy to put in his car because he doesn't want too much bass and if you are telling me that my car sounds like **** don't tell me you know because you don't because you have never heard my setup so therefore how the hell would you know? so don't tell me to get out of the conversation when I know what the hell I am talking about! also do you own a 2002 mustang? no I didn't think so.
Lol. Okay lets get one thing straight first. I never said you're an idiot or got offensive towards you. All I said in my original statement is that two 12" subs are overpowering for a two-door car and that unless you've got dynamat covering the rear or have the trunk lid weighted down it rattles. But, then YOU got defensive stating that I said you're car sounded like ****, which I never stated.

I have owned a 2003 GT, and now own an 2004 Cobra so yes I do know what it sounds like and yes I do know more than you when it comes to car audio trust me. You can get just as good of sound without having two 12" subs. The amount of air inside of the car is not enough to require two 12" subs unless you're just going for the loudest **** possible. I don't care what you do with your car, nor do I care what you think about what I say, but it is the truth. There is no reason to have two 12" subs in a two-door car other than just having the loudest sound possible. That's a fact.

Now quit getting sand in your vagina and going on a bitch riot. It's just facts, learn to deal with it. I'm trying to save you from getting called an idiot by the rest of the guys on here.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Ninja

One 10'' sub, sealed box, simple 350W amp. All you need in a mustang.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 AM
rice eater

i like 10's myself they just sound so much cleaner and tighter, but it would be tough getting 2 12's in ur vert man, i drive a vert as well and it depends alot on the box dimensions of course but more than likely its gona be too big to fit, just save and go with 10's sonicelectronix.com

Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by zigzagg321
One 10'' sub, sealed box, simple 350W amp. All you need in a mustang.
Thank you.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
KWITCHERBITCHIN

Can two 12's physically fit in a Mustang trunk? Yeah, sure. Can you get a Correctly sized box for two 12" subs in the trunk of a Mustang. No.

The very most you truthfully need is one 12" in a large ported box, if I remember correctly, the one that I had in my blue 'Stang was 2.75cu' which took up more than half of the trunk from left to right. That was an infinity Kappa perfect running about 800w RMS and it shook **** apart in the car.. Seriously.. It knocked the rear view mirror off of the windshield many, many times..

If I end up putting a sub in my GT it will most likely be ONE 10" sub with a small ported box and an amp maybe pushing 4-500w max..

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by WNRacing
Can two 12's physically fit in a Mustang trunk? Yeah, sure. Can you get a Correctly sized box for two 12" subs in the trunk of a Mustang. No.

The very most you truthfully need is one 12" in a large ported box, if I remember correctly, the one that I had in my blue 'Stang was 2.75cu' which took up more than half of the trunk from left to right. That was an infinity Kappa perfect running about 800w RMS and it shook **** apart in the car.. Seriously.. It knocked the rear view mirror off of the windshield many, many times..

If I end up putting a sub in my GT it will most likely be ONE 10" sub with a small ported box and an amp maybe pushing 4-500w max..
Once again, Thank you.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
A pony.

I have a two 12's in my car. I don't use them for rap really. They are Memphis 12's. Anyways, the box nearly rubs the bottom of the rear speakers in the trunk, and touches both sides of the trunk, and leaves me with enough space to fit a duffel bag. A box this big cannot be slid in thru the back seats or thru the trunk. I had to take my rear seats out entirely to fit it in, then bolt my back seats back in. It sounds great and all, BUT theres a major problem. The car doesnt have enough room to produce LOW bass, UNLESS the windows are down, then my ported box makes the speakers act as if they were in a bandpass box. Personally I listen to zeppelin and im a drummer so i want my subs to reproduce bass drum sounds good. and ive found 12's do it the best, even tho no speaker can actually sound like one. Ive had this setup since ive had my car and its worked great, however, i have no room for anything, i get rattles from my broken headpiece over the rear seat, and i have to put my rear seatbelts in their buckles or they will rattle on the plastic interior. When I had competition subs, each weighing nearly 60+ pounds, and taking a mounting depth of around 7 inches, it would squat my cars rear end, looked crappy. I was able to hit 136 decibles with two 12 inch U.S. amps subs and a cadence A7+hc amp at less than 1 ohm. Had i been in a SUV wouldve been alot better. I took that setup out because it was gonna destroy seals. So my memphis setup is considerably lower wattage, and doesnt nearly stall my car out, or kill alternators like my other did. 12's can work, but most of your trunk will be used. If your worried about killing the performance of your car or for a good basic setup, I'd reccomend one good 10 or two 8's, and run it at 400w RMS. I don't do rap, but from the two 8's i have in my room waiting for a truck, they can do rap great! Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will two 12" subs fit in my trunk? 2002