General Tech Forum Use this form for tech related topics that relate to all/most Mustang platforms

JLT CAI (or other fender relocation ones)

Old 05-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Default JLT CAI (or other fender relocation ones)

I'm wondering about the JLT "True Cold" air CAI for the 03 GT.

As I understand it, it relocates the air filter to inside the wheel well. What I don't understand is how this is a good thing since to me it seems like it would throw up massive amoutns of water and dirt directly onto the filter.

Can some one explain to me how it's a benifit to have the filter in the wheel well compared to behind a heat shield in the engine compartment?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

The entire wheel well has a large plastic liner so no water or extra dirt will get to it. I don't like fender well CAI kits and many agree it throws the maf sensor off sometimes because of the bends before the maf.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:41 PM

What spike said...I had the steeda cai from AM and I loved it.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM

I was looking at the JLT Ram air one (which honestly just looks like a CAI in the engine compartment). The pictures I've seen of the wheel well JLT filter have the filter being right in the same area as the rire without any sort of liner. To me it looked like it woudl be almost certaint o pickup stuff from the tire. Can you tell me what liner your refering to?

I was looking at the JLT Ram Air one because as near as I can tell it's a straight pipe with no curves at all till it heads to the throttle body. I admit I don't have any practical experiance though so advice woudl be welcome.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:21 PM

There's a plastic peice inbetween your tire and your engine bay stoping the water/dirt and so on from entering your engine bay. The cai that you were looking at sits above that but in your fender...if that makes sence...???...lol, it's ok man...it's better to ask questions than to just go for it!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Sounds like something you need to walk up and see for it to make sense. I think it get the idea though. There is basiclly a debris shield there. Thats not to bad. I'll probaby still go for the heat shield/interal to the engien bay sort of design though. I feel better about that and it's probably easier to install to.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM

It would almost HAVE to be easier to install...lol...Like I said, I went with the Steeda CAI and it looked great under the hood. Looked even better when I paired it up with my Accufab T-Body and plenum too...I would go straight pipe with heat shield which ever system you decide to choose

Old 05-09-2009, 04:31 PM

JLT looked good. Large pipe from all appearances and doesn't bend at all till it gets to the throttle body. Is there a simular one for less money that you guys know of?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Well...I'd say if there's anything out there cheaper...AM would have it. Their prices are the cheapest I've come across...it's just up to personal taste and what you want it to look like under the hood now. I'm sending you a PM now

Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Densachargers are very cheap for these cars. Search google for the company as I don't know if they are even open anymore.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM

didnt know that the bend before the MAF messes with the readings, now i know which style im getting. and if it helps you with your decision anymore jkt, i was going to go with the jlt also, mostly because its not a heat horder like the aluminum and steel Intakes. only downfall is that its gonna suck in the hot air from under the hood, hopefully in the near future i'll get a heat extraction hood like i have on my 96

Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM

If you read closely and look at the install directions for the JLT cold air kit you will see that the MAF gets moved to inside the fenderwell just behind the filter and the adapter with the bend is behind the MAF. Thus eliminating the airflow reading problem you're woried about.

From the reviews I've read it's a solid product and one that I will be switching to in the future. If I'd known about these when I was loking for my car I'd have one now.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Redfire GT

Just stick with the JLT ram air. My friend installed the cold air kit on our buddies car and said it was a pain to get the filter hooked up being inside the fender well. Also think about taking it off when you want to clean it...just seems like a pain to pick up 1-2 hp and a few degrees cooler temperatures.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
A pony.

i only got one to help my 6 rumble more.. but yeah i have the one that goes in the fender as well,, im gonna take it out soon to look at the filter becuz i fear water and dirt as well.. ill post a pic when i do..