General Tech Forum Use this form for tech related topics that relate to all/most Mustang platforms

EBC (Green, Red or Yellow)

Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Default EBC (Green, Red or Yellow)

I went to the EBC website and don't know which is best for my application (daily driver, some street racing, no track use).

The green seem to fit my needs best, but I like that the yellow and red have a longer lifetime and low dust.

I've already ordered new Baer rotors and J&M brake lines.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Wowbagger hates me too!

what size brakes... stock GT or cobra?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Stock GT. I just spoke with a guy from LM performance and he recommended either green or red. Said I don't need yellow if I don't go to the track.
He also said green dusts less than the red. That's the opposite of what the EBC website says. What do you think?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Wowbagger hates me too!

he's 100% right in my opinion. The only place we differ is that IMO on the smaller GT rotors I like the more aggressive yellow pad, particularly since you like to wind it out on the streets. It's best to have that little extra. Green do dust less than red. Yellow's about the same as green for dust once they're bedded in. Green would be just as good in all probability but there you go. Now the decision is yours.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks. I went with Baer rotors, J&M lines, and EBC red pads. Should have everything in by Monday.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Be warned i have the J&M lines and while they fit the calipers and stock hard lines, i had to cut the stock fitting on the body where they are held in place where the stainless line will meet the factory hard line.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Did you get your J&M lines from American Muscle? Also, do the instructions say/show where I'll need to cut for them to fit properly.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 PM

i got the green and they're ok, not much dust

Old 03-15-2008, 07:41 PM

i went with the green on my 01. a friend of mine races alot and uses EBC and advised me to go with the green vs the red.... i will quote him here "unless you park this car in the garage for the winter, the red SUCK ***. Really only work well when they are warmed up. They really dont like cold weather." i had the green an loved them, I also went with the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on all 4 corners

Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM

Well I just moved to south texas and it's ridiculously hot here. I don't think cold weather's going to be a problem anytime soon.
My pads, caliper paint kit (black) and Baer rotors (look nice compared to stock) came in already.....just waiting for my brake lines to arrive so I can install everything.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ericgutz
Well I just moved to south texas and it's ridiculously hot here. I don't think cold weather's going to be a problem anytime soon.
My pads, caliper paint kit (black) and Baer rotors (look nice compared to stock) came in already.....just waiting for my brake lines to arrive so I can install everything.
must be nice. it goes from 70 to 15 with 5 inches of snow in like two days. (no joke, happened two weeks agao)

Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jcsuli74
i went with the green on my 01. a friend of mine races alot and uses EBC and advised me to go with the green vs the red.... i will quote him here "unless you park this car in the garage for the winter, the red SUCK ***. Really only work well when they are warmed up. They really dont like cold weather." i had the green an loved them, I also went with the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on all 4 corners
I am looking at doing the exact same setup. I got pricing for under $400 shipped for everything. Where did you buy? How do you like?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Wowbagger hates me too!

I have yellows on slotted rotors. Snappy tooth chipping stops hot or cold. Repeated stops from 100+ with almost no fade.

Red will wear out in 1 day on a track or hard road. Green are just about perfect for street but I like yellow for the more aggressive bite.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

How is the difference in feel from green to yellow? Thoughts on EBC rotors vs the ones that you have?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Wowbagger hates me too!

The rotors I have are Power Stop slotted and they're great. I expected them to warp on day 1 (my brakes were literally SMOKING when I got done bedding them in). EBC rotors would be at least as good if not better. Since they're a braking company I'd bet they're having brembo or power stop cast their rotors for them.

The yellows are more aggressive than the green. It's probably 25% difference in initial bite and noise. If you still have ABS then the yellow are where I'd go. If you do not have ABS you can lock up the yellows pretty easy in which case most people without ABS should opt for green IMO.

This is the first time I've been 100% satisfied with a bargain brake setup. Check out TMD's ebay store at http://stores.ebay.com/1AAA1-The-Mustang-Depot. Best prices anywhere.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Colin:

Are they noisy? I guess I am a bit surprised that a pad built for racing could be so right for the street as well. I do still have ABS.

If I go with Yellows up front, what would recomend in the back then?

This is what you recomend right:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLOTT...mZ170202962415

Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Wowbagger hates me too!

You can hear them for sure. They're not hugely loud but they are just audible. The break in period will sound like metal on metal but it's not. After that it's just a little more sensation than you get from stock pads.

With GT 10.8" front rotors (in which case, yes that's the right set) I'd do yellow up front and green in back. The greens in back create almost no dust to boot which is nice.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

How do you break in brakes?

The Green rears are getting had to find. I had a place recomend a different brand for the back....I think they were Eccentrics or something like that. If I had Yellows up front and more of a stock type pad in the rear would that be a problem?

I was concerned about these rotors you recomended because they were soo dam cheap. Seriously, the EBC rotors will run me another $175 or so, but if you are still fine with those from TMD, I am sure I will love them.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by WaterDR
I am looking at doing the exact same setup. I got pricing for under $400 shipped for everything. Where did you buy? How do you like?
i got my entire set up from www.ajusa.com . i loved them on my 01.
i think when i got them it was under $400. huge improvement over the stock stuff.

just make sure you bed them in correctly.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Wowbagger hates me too!

Originally Posted by WaterDR
How do you break in brakes?

The Green rears are getting had to find. I had a place recomend a different brand for the back....I think they were Eccentrics or something like that. If I had Yellows up front and more of a stock type pad in the rear would that be a problem?

I was concerned about these rotors you recomended because they were soo dam cheap. Seriously, the EBC rotors will run me another $175 or so, but if you are still fine with those from TMD, I am sure I will love them.
With EBC's they bed themselves in through normal use but there is a standard heat cycling that you need to do if you're putting new rotors on. With the new rotors and pads, find a lonely road and make several near-stops (don't come all the way to a stop) from about 30mph. Don't overheat them, you're just putting a cycle into them. Once you've done that a few times, up the speed to 50-60 and do that a few times. Drive for at least 10 minutes or so to cool the rotors and try not to use the brakes during that time. Done.

EBC pads come with a top layer that literally surfaces your rotors to the pad. There's no need to bed them in like you would with most normal pads as they bed themselves.

You can use any level pad in the rear... even yellows. Greens were my pick for you because they were really low dust for me and I'd imagine that's a bit of a concern. A stock pad in the rear is just fine. I've had NOTHING but squealing out of Hawks in the rear but they were very good long lasting and low dust pads. Hated them in front.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Ok...GREAT. Thanks for the advice. I was going to go with EBC slotted and dimpled rotors (hey, they look cool). I like thet fact that they don't drill them all the way through. I was then going to get GREEN up front and OEM in the rear.

Then, after chatting with you, I am thinking I will go with your rotors on all four corners, then get Yellow up front with either a OEM or GREEN in the rear.

According to EBC (website), the GREEN pads actually stop better then the yellows. They claim that they have a better friction coeficient then the yellows, but the yellows are more resistant to fade.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Wowbagger hates me too!

I'd say that's accurate. The yellows still bite hard as hell though.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:41 AM
blank

Satisfied GS6 are similar to the greens as well as the Hawk HPS in which you can find both at the Tire Rack for a good price.