Modular 4.6L Tech For all your 1996-2005+ 2V, 3V, and 4V modular motor needs.

camshaft position sensor problem

Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Default camshaft position sensor problem

my car has been running really bad lately. at first it was just hard to start it. sometimes it would pop after i tried to start it and it wouldnt start for a few tries. then it started running really bad at idle. it idles at 500-600 rpms, and every once in a while the rpms will drop even lower and the car struggles to keep running. i hooked my xcal 2 up to it to see what codes it was throwing. i got p0340. the camshaft position sensor code. i replaced the sensor. code still comes up. i dont know what else to do. i cleaned out my MAF with some cleaner and i checked all my vaccuum lines. everything is good. my next step was to clean the IAC but that still wouldnt fix the problem with the code that its throwing. any help from anyone would be great. i cant figure this out

Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

does it run ruff still or just the light you didnt say what happend?

Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM

what do u mean just the light? it still runs rough. but once i start driving or pretty much do anything to get the car out of idleing it runs fine. i can drive on the highway or even go WOT and you couldn't even tell something was wrong with it. only while its idleing or trying to start does it mess up. the service engine soon light came on recently too.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:37 PM

I had shredded the right bank timing chain tensioner arm during acceleration back in december. It caused the car to idle rough and misfire quite a bit. I ended up having other problems as well, so I wasn't getting any SES codes for it, but maybe that would be something to look into.

Name:  img137.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  41.1 KB

Old 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
46MONSTER

1 am 100% sure its the altenator, you have a bad alternator, its not giving enough charge. also the aternator wires run with the camshaft position sensor. i replaced my alternator, and it fixed it, starts up fine and idles fine.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM

you know what, that sounds like it could be it. when the car is slowing down i get a whine coming from the engine. i thought it was just the belt making noise and it just seemed louder then normal cause i was paying more attention to it. but my dad said it was a bearing going bad in the alternator. ill try that one out and see how it works. thanks guys

Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 PM

your idle problem isnt your cam sensor, but the alternator WILL fix this problem, i had the same code thrown, and same symtoms as you and replaced mine and its perfect now! starts up everytime.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Default Camshaft sensor code

So I got my 2007 mustang gt in February and first week I had it, it tried stalling out like it was struggling to keep running when I was just sitting at a light out of gear so pulled the codes and nothing so I didnt think anything about it when it didnt happen for a while. For about the past two months its been pulling this same stalling problem and gradually getting worse and worse. When this happens the rmps drop to about 500 and fluctuate up and down until I hit the gas over about 2k then as soon as the rpms start to lower it does it again and shakes the whole car. About 3 weeks ago the problem was really bad. It was trying to stall out then the temperature gauge shot up without warning and overheated. Got the car home looked at it let it sit for a week and it was fine for a few drives. Then it pulled the same trying to stall then overheating thing 2 more times. Pulled the codes again and got p0340 bank 1 and also have a skip not sure from where tho. I’ve replaced the solenoids multiple times and have also replaced the cam phasers and timing chain. Alternator was changed a few weeks after I got it due to a different problem but it stalling happend both before and after it was replaced. Im worried if I change the camshaft sensor its not gonna work and more money down the toilet. I dont know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any ideas or know what the problem is?