Modular 4.6L Tech For all your 1996-2005+ 2V, 3V, and 4V modular motor needs.

warning for loud exhaust

Old 06-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Default warning for loud exhaust

I got pulled over today and recieved a warning for having too loud of a exhaust (bassani catted x-pipe and SLP loumouth cat back) I need to have my car fixed and go through a decible test at the local DMV. I have my stock H-pipe but my stock cat back is gone. What is a quieter catback I can get that will pass the test. I heard the flowmaster force 2 is quiet, any suggestions? I am selling my slp b/c I dont want this to happen again.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Beantown Stang

where do u live? go for magaflow catback should be fine..

Old 06-18-2006, 05:43 PM

+1. I haven't heard of that anywhere. At least not around here. Do they pull over Harley's for the same reason? I suggest moving

Old 06-18-2006, 05:49 PM

Connecticut the cop wrote me up for sec 14-80 which says:

Per Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of the DMV Regulations for "Glass Pack Mufflers" it is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation. The loudness is affected not only by the mufflers utilized, but also by any engine modifications. There can be two different vehicles with the same exhaust system, however, they may have different engine modifications. One of the vehicles will pass the noise level measurement test and the other vehicle may not

Old 06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Someone i knew in FL when I was stationed at Tyndall AFB, got pulled over for his 99 Cobra being to loud. I think they do it when they want to be a dick that day. Cause he never changed it. mine is loud and other friends have loud exhaust but never pulled over.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:57 PM

yeah the cop said if I dont get it fixed and inspected within 20 days my license and reg will be suspended.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

wow... CT sucks ******* and dick at the same time...

go to a junk yard and get stock mufflers for 50 bucks... put em on for the test and take em off afterward...

thats ****in gay...

Old 06-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by stangjunkie04
Connecticut the cop wrote me up for sec 14-80 which says:

Per Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of the DMV Regulations for "Glass Pack Mufflers" it is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation.
This is funny. You don't have glass packs, hahaha. The joke is on them.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Just get some LM II mufflers and swap them out.That's why they are a modular system.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:19 PM

yea your looking at the king of exhaust tickets lol...i just go to court and say"if you guys dont believe me thats its legal i will take it to the decible test station and get it tested. if i am right then you will pay for the cost of getting it tested and drop the ticket. if i am wrong i will pay the ticket and the use of the dicble tester." and they always drop it.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Beantown Stang

Originally Posted by roushrider81
yea your looking at the king of exhaust tickets lol...i just go to court and say"if you guys dont believe me thats its legal i will take it to the decible test station and get it tested. if i am right then you will pay for the cost of getting it tested and drop the ticket. if i am wrong i will pay the ticket and the use of the dicble tester." and they always drop it.

haha, thats the way to do it damn po

Old 06-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I 8urvtec!!

That sux, around here in Va most of the cops pull mustangs over to find out what kinda exhaust it is or just to talk about mustangs seeing most of the cops drive a stang. I rode around for the longest time with a Spin Tech o/r X and straights...never had a cop look at me but once and that was when i romped on it beside him b/c it was my g/f's boss the Capt. lol

Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
jjtgiants

Go with Magnaflow dude! I know magnaflow catback's produce 92db at
3,000 rpms....which should be fine

Old 06-19-2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by roushrider81

you're suggesting testing the decibals of an SLP loudmouth???????? HA. If you're trying to test if SLP is legal, you would never win that battle...ever

And the tubular design of the SLP LM's actually are what are considered "glasspacks" (aka cherry bombers), so there's no way in hell you'd win a court battle.

Basically, when I had slp I learned to take a look around before getting on it, and I rarely got on it at night when I couldn't see everyone around me.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 AM

Have you thought about making a baffle to fit in the tailpipe.Bassani gives them away with their stainless steel exhausts.You could make something like that where it could be removed after the test.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:29 AM
BOLO 4 ME

OK, yeah, CT can be gay, i know.
I would suggest getting it tested... i hope it passes, not that i woulkd be in trouble with my standard style mufflers.
Just to show you how gay CT is i got warning ticket right here for going through a yellow light. it says
"Fail Obey Signal"(sic) and its 14-299
In your case...
"Failure to repair vehicle and submit proof of this repair to the DMV will result in your being subject to a CIVIL PENALTY OF NOT LESS THAN $50 AND THE SUSPENSION OF YOUR REGISTRATION."
oh *****. just for the hell of it make sure he filled in everything that needed to be, mine is missing the 'State police unit' number, not that it really matters...
it helps to know some guys down at the DMV... for all of those not in CT we had a bit of a problem with some of our Testing Facilities, (accepting bribes etc.) so all testing was done at local shops... even easier to bribe if you wanted too X_X
(atleast fairfield county)

Old 06-19-2006, 06:38 AM

i live in pennsylvania near pittsburgh an they never say **** bout my exhaust an mines loud as **** i have slp too with ford racin headers an magnaflow x an i **** with people an rev it at them an cops will be right their i mean a couple time they will follow me but they never pull me over i guess it really depends on the state county etc you live in

Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Ricer Abuser

get powerflo mufflers made by SLP, those are much quieter. i had them but didnt like them. LM2 mufflers are great for me. the LM1 mufflers are horrible without cats that why i have the LM2 mufflers, but i put the cats back on too so my dad will inspect my car.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Zig *hearts* Fishy

Originally Posted by Saleen S330
Someone i knew in FL when I was stationed at Tyndall AFB, got pulled over for his 99 Cobra being to loud. I think they do it when they want to be a dick that day. Cause he never changed it. mine is loud and other friends have loud exhaust but never pulled over.
That doesn't surprise me. Panama City cops are huge ********.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 AM

force 2 is toooo quiet, scrap that idea, super 40's are perfect not too loud nice tone

Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dannyb785
you're suggesting testing the decibals of an SLP loudmouth???????? HA. If you're trying to test if SLP is legal, you would never win that battle...ever

And the tubular design of the SLP LM's actually are what are considered "glasspacks" (aka cherry bombers), so there's no way in hell you'd win a court battle.

Basically, when I had slp I learned to take a look around before getting on it, and I rarely got on it at night when I couldn't see everyone around me.
ummm you dont get it...i have done that twice now and in about 3 month it will happen again...they never test it they just throw it out right away. because they dont have time to go through the trouble.